This Vietnamese dessert is my hubby’s favorite, we use to go to Chinatown and he’s stock up on these type of desserts. This treat feels like yummy comfort food, you have to try this Vietnamese Coconut Sticky Rice with Black Eyed Beans Recipe.
You can save some time and used canned beans instead but it’s not really extra work because I already have to soak the rice anyways.
Some people like to add more coconut to the rice while it is cooking but we like to drizzle over top while warm. Just heat up the remaining can of coconut cream/milk with the 1/2 cup of sugar to serve. I prefer to eat the rice warm but hubby likes it chilled. Either way, it is yummy. You can also top with toasted sesame seeds or crushed peanuts. The kids really like it too.
Vietnamese Coconut Sticky Rice with Black Eyed Beans Ingredients
- 2 cups of sticky rice soaked in water overnight or at least 6 hours
- 1 cup of dried black-eyed beans soaked overnight or at least 6 hours
- 1 can of coconut cream or coconut milk
- 1/4 cup sugar + 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 cups + 8 cups of water
- Boil the beans in 4 cups of water on medium-high heat, bring down to a simmer, cover and cook for 40 minutes.
- Drain the beans and add 6 cups of water to the pot. Bring the beans and water to a boil again.
- After 15 minutes add rice, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tsp salt, and 1/4 cup coconut cream/milk and cook and low-medium heat.
- Stir occasionally as the water is absorbed by the rice add water 1/2 cup of water at a time until it is done. If you prefer a thicker pudding then you won’t need the full amount of water, if you want a looser pudding add more water.
- Stir constantly as your pudding thickens so that it doesn’t burn underneath.
- Take off the heat and allow it to thicken up.
More Vietnamese Recipes
Get Weekly Updates
Taming the chaos of motherhood -
Subscribe and get a daily schedule printable