Our favorite time is spent enjoying great food with my mother’s home cooking. No matter how much I watch her cook, I can never replicate what she does with her food. Mine are never as good.
It’s also the memories we share as we all sit around the table and eat together as a family. You can feed the entire family with these amazing Vietnamese Butter Beef Recipe, and it will be a huge hit.
With a house full of boys, food is a major love in our house. Good food does not leave leftovers for us, seriously, unless it was a huge meal. This time we were at my mother’s house. I love that she enjoys hosting us over because it means, I don’t have to do the shopping and prep. I happily help with the clean up after we’ve all stuffed ourselves.
The kids love going to Grandma’s house because they get spoiled with food and love while they’re there. We don’t get to see them as often as I’d like but when we do the kids think it’s really special.
We use Gay Lea butter as the oil so everything gets cooked in it. It’s simple and makes it delicious. Knowing that Gay Lea uses local farms to produce their products means I’m very happy to support them.
This meal looks like a lot of work but after you get everything washed and chopped. It’s so easy to cook and well worth it.
We have an electric griddle that we can cook with on the countertop. This makes it super easy to cook everything at once.
Everyone can see what is being cooked and ask for their favorites to be cooked first.
Traditionally, this is served with rice paper along with lettuce and thinly sliced cucumbers, bananas leaves and a whole host of herbs. You grab the meat, add your noodles, veggies, and herbs and wrap it up in a rice paper that was dipped in warm water.
Because the act of wrapping everything up is a chore in itself. This would mean I’m making wraps for 3 people before I eat. I feed the two littlest and then make my own. It’s just not worth it and people start crying when their roll falls apart. The rice paper is more difficult for my daughter to chew through so it becomes a safety concern so we’ve changed things up to suit us.
This means everyone gets their own bowl of noodles and then can grab whatever meat or veggies they want. Hence, the broccoli because my kids won’t eat any of the other veggies.
- Beef Sirloin
- Salmon, shrimp, squid (optional) – cleaned and deveined
- 1 package Cooked Vermicelli noodles
- 1 package Sliced mushrooms
- 1 each Sliced green and red peppers
- Chopped Chinese broccoli
- 1 bunch Spinach
- 2 heads Chopped broccoli
- 1/3 cup Fish sauce
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 1 Lime
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Chili pepper
- 2 1/2 cup Boiling water
- Make the fish sauce – In a small sauce pan, boil the sugar in the water. Turn it off and let it cool. Add the fish sauce and the juice of one lime, garlic and one finely chopped chili pepper.
- Season the beef along with any other meat ie shrimp, salmon with salt and pepper.
- Cook the rice vermicelli noodles according to the packaged directions, drain and set aside.
- We use a large flat top griddle, turn on the heat and add the butter.
- Add the meats first and grill until they are cooked.
- Add the veggies until they are cooked.
- In your bowl serve the meat, veggies with the noodles and the fish sauce as your dressing.
Disclosure: I am part of the PTPA Brand Ambassador Program with Gay Lea and I received Compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.
Get Weekly Updates
Taming the chaos of motherhood -
Subscribe and get a daily schedule printable