At this time of the year, strawberries are in season and we love baking with them here with the kids. They make the muffins moist and soft and we never have left overs in our home after one of these baking sessions.
I love involving my kids while I’m working in the kitchen. I want them to enjoy cooking and baking so that they can help me but also learn life skills in the kitchen. This is also a great opportunity to add in math as you’re measuring ingredients perhaps doubling recipe portions. This is a wonderful way to work on fractions and a more practical application for it.
We don’t buy treats often so we prefer to bake our own desserts so that I can control the amount of sugar our treats have. I prefer to bake with brown sugar but you use what you like.
Strawberry Crumble Muffins Ingredients
For the muffin batter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
For the crumb topping
- 1/4 cup butter, cold and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
Strawberry Crumble Muffins Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Line a muffin tray with liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until creamy, about 1 minute.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix again.
- In a second, small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the sugar-butter mixture. Fully mix, then add in half of the milk, and repeat until incorporated.
- Carefully stir in the strawberries and then portion out into the muffin cups in 1/4 cup increments.
- Mix together the crumb topping ingredients, until the butter is in small pea-sized amounts and no excess flour is remaining.
- Top each muffin with about a tablespoon of the crumb topping.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until firm to the touch and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 10 muffins.
Makes my mouth water just by looking at the pictures.