Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching and we are already thinking ahead to the big, special day. The kids and I will make a felt basket weave heart craft for close friends. Wouldn’t it be fun if we mixed it up and made them in all kinds of rainbow colors? We can’t wait to show you this awesome tutorial on how to make a cute craft.
This is one of those great Valentine’s Day crafts that are perfect for the holiday crafting fun. Anytime we can create a fun Valentine’s day project, we do so! This felt weave basket is an amazing way to get the kids to work on their fine motor skills as well as their hand-eye coordination also.
I also love that they can create a great craft for Valentine’s Day that they can then show off to their family and friends!
Felt Basket Weave Heart Craft
Keep in mind that this is one of those easy crafts that doesn’t take long at all. I love to use this when the kids are looking for a fast and easy afternoon craft that is about the Valentine’s Day holiday. We’ve also made these and given them out to people as a fun DIY gift as well.
Talk about a cute and simple way to spread kindness and cheer! These felt hearts always do the trick!
Felt Basket Weave Heart Craft Supplies
All you need are the simple supplies listed below to get started. Let the kids choose their favorite felt colors to start creating!
- Felt sheets in choice of colors
- Craft glue (optional)
Directions to make this Felt Basket Weave Heart Craft:
1. Begin by choosing the colors of felt you wish to use. You can use the same for each side of the heart or opt for two different shades for contrast.
2. Cut out two U shapes from the felt as shown. The size of the U will depend on how big you want the heart to be.
3. Now, starting from the flat end of the U, cut strips that go up the shape about ¾ of the way. Remember you do not want to go all the way to the top!
4. You want your strips to be even, and equally spaced.
5. You can now start weaving the strips as shown. Gently pull the felt to help it reach across. You will find it stretches nicely. You will use an over/under method as you weave.
6. The woven heat will stay together nicely but you can add a dab of craft glue to each end of the strips to help secure them in place.
Your felt woven hearts are now ready to be enjoyed.
Fun Ways to Use This Felt Basket Weave Heart Craft
What I love about this simple preschool craft is that you can use it for so many different reasons. As I mentioned earlier, these would be great for a Valentine’s day gift for family and friends or even a cute way to let the kids make their own homemade Valentine’s Day cards as well.
We’ve also used these to decorate around the home and have the little hearts to remind us of kindness and love.
And last, but not least, you can have the children make up some of these hearts and then hide them throughout the house! It’s a fun way to play a game together and have everyone up and moving as well!
I hope you enjoyed our Felt Basket Weave Heart Craft post!